- “We are leaning towards another guided trip with Ryder-Walker because for both of us, part of what made our last trip so memorable was some of our conversations with Ken. We really enjoyed his stories, both the ones that made us laugh and the ones that gave us more insight into the culture of the area.”- Noel and Mark D.
- "I was on one of your trips recently with my mother Sarah Peckett and my sister Jess Tory, as well as our aunt and cousin. The trip was INCREDIBLE. One of the most unique experiences of my life, and I couldn't get over the variety and sheer beauty every day in Switzerland."- Annabel Tory
- "Dave is an outstanding guide. He brought our family on beautiful, interesting, and challenging hikes. This was one of the best hiking trips that we have experienced."- Helen J.
- "I just love hiking the Alps! Well organized, good guides, good group, the right balance of guidance and freedom."- Lesly Higgins
- "Hard hiking by day, nice accommodations by night. Enjoyable guides and fellow hikers. Being a business owner, I rather enjoyed having other people taking care of the arrangements."- William Cherry
A flexible itinerary for more hiking opportunities.
Tastefully appointed accommodations and delicious regional cuisine.
A chance to climb a handful of smaller mountains, perfect for peak bagging.
Feel the burn in your legs as our expert team of Bergführer take you mountain hopping across the undiscovered peaks of eastern Switzerland. Beginning in the picturesque village of Zuoz, we spend eight days summiting the many mid-height, un-glaciated mountain peaks that the Engadine region is famous for. Hike to the mountaintops by day, and bed down in the region’s quintessentially Swiss inns by night. We spend at least two nights in each location, giving us ample time to enjoy an in-depth exploration of the region’s historic villages, quiet valleys, and rugged peaks. If you like to climb or “bag” peaks, then this trip is for you!
Not a peak bagger, or never tried? That’s fine too. There will be two guides on this tour for maximum flexibility. Relax on the shores of the Silvaplanersee, a sparkling lake in the Upper Engadine Valley, and climb to the top of the Piz Padella (9,370 feet), offering expansive views across the Rhaetian Alps. Have lunch at the Rifugio Segantini, a dramatically situated mountain hut, popular for its delicious homemade soups and hearty mountain fare.
Visit the towns of Zuoz, Pontresina and Sils Maria, and celebrate the finish of our hike in the tiny hamlet of Soglio, a perfectly preserved Roman village where Italian is the language of choice, and cobblestone roads carry you back in time.
Travel independently to Zuoz, the first vantage point from which you can see the high, glaciated peaks of the Upper Engadine. Settle into a marvelous, old-world hotel centrally located on Zuoz’s main street. Meet your group and guides for dinner tonight.
Enjoy a warm-up day to one of our favorite high mountain huts above Zuoz. The views of the Palu and Bernina massifs to the southeast are superb. Descend near the old Albula Pass road to La Punt or Chamues for transport back to Zuoz.
Distance: 6 – 12 miles. Elevation gain: 2600 ft.
Transfer to one of the Upper Engadine’s greatest attractions, a funicular with arguably the finest vista in the Alps. Traverse to one of the highest hikeable summits in the region. Stop for delicious soup and otherworldly views. Descend to Pontresina and a warm, welcoming inn in a quiet section of the village.
Distance: up to 9 miles. Elevation gain/loss: up to 3400 ft.
Hike out of Schlarigna, made famous as the finish village of the renowned Cresta Run, perhaps the world’s most famous bobsled course. Ascend the rocky slopes of Piz Padella to its craggy summit. Descend the backside to a lovely family farm where basic but scrumptious food is served. Wander down to Samedan for transport back to Pontresina.
Distance: 8 miles. Elevation gain/loss: up to 3500 ft.
Begin with a gentle ascent up one of the Alps’ most pristine valleys; a region carved by glaciers over the millennia. We hike all the way to the head of the valley ,where a charismatic hut rests on the edge of a moraine adjacent to a quickly receding glacier. Descend to Sils Maria and a superb old-world hotel.
Distance: 12 miles. Elevation gain/loss: 3300/3000 ft.
There are numerous hikeable summits surround Sils Maria, and we choose among them for today’s hike. Enjoy views of the wild and spectacular Val Bregaglia to the south, a region characterized by massive granite walls emerging from lush valleys on the Italian border. Return to Sils Maria.
Distance: up to 8 miles. Elevation gain/loss: up to 3220/2775 ft.
High above the Val Bregaglia we ascend to a pass above our final destination, Soglio, one of the most charming villages in the world. We descend through numerous rustic, but still active, tiny farms and hamlets. Enjoy your last night here dining on local specialties and watching the alpenglow embrace the granite spires of the Bregaglia.
Distance: 7.5 miles. Elevation gain/loss: 1170/2290 ft.
Typically, same day flights cannot be met in Zurich. The transfer to the Zurich airport takes between 5 and 6 hours.